Thursday, March 12, 2015

MIA

Yes, I have been absent for quite a while and I suppose I have no excuse except I just didn't have much I wanted to say. To update on my life... good news and bad news.

Bad news first I guess so that's out of the way.  I have been on disability since last August. I started having trouble with my eye and the Dr's tried everything to save it but could not so I had my right eye removed last Nov 3.  I was lucky to have had no problems since I was diagnosed with ocular melanoma in early 2012, but my luck ran out I guess. The tumor in my eye started bleeding and they could not stop it.  It has been hard getting used to having one eye and everything you did so easily before is now a challenge, depth perception etc.  I got through it and because I am fiercely independent I was driving by December.  First just on city streets close to home and then the freeway with someone with me to tell me if the right lane was clear when I wanted to switch lanes.  Now I am confident and have learned how to watch where people are so I know when its clear to change lanes.
That was bad news part one.  In early December I started thinking about the eye tumor bleeding and I associated that with spreading those bad cells throughout my body so I requested a PET scan and they found a small tumor in my liver.  I was good they found it early and I have since gone through radiation and now will have treatments with a drug that teaches your  good cells to kill the cancer cells.  I am told it works 50% of the time so I plan on being in that good 50%.
So far I've had one treatment and its nowhere near as bad as chemo was, but I still have nausea occasionally and get tired sooner.  We shall see what happens.

Good news is for the most part I feel OK and am able to work in the garden sometimes and yesterday I adopted a new kitty from the Humane society.  He is the cutest little guy, all black with big yellow eyes.  A year old and came from a hoarding house that had more than 30 cats.  I guess the lady thought she was going something good, but having that many cats that were not fixed was a very irresponsible thing to me.  My little guy is thin, but very friendly and because he is used to being around other cats, is one of the reasons I chose him.  I already had two, Kissy and Isa.  Right now he is under the bed in my room and the other two know he's here, but wont have contact with him until I see he/they show interest from behind closed doors.  Kissy is used to sleeping with me every night so last night was hard to hear her sit outside the door and cry.  I ended up going out and sleeping on the couch in the den for a while. These kitties are very spoiled to say the least. He is not named yet as I need to be able to interact with him more to be able to name him.  I will post pictures as thing progress. 

The weather here in San Diego is so beautiful and the roses are blooming along with the wisteria.
I would love to plant new roses, but with this terrible drought I thought I better be content with the ones I have for now. 

Hope everyone is well and have a wonderful weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sherry..it's just me. I wanted to check in and see how you are doing..and it sounds as though you are hanging in there. We have had so much of that dread disease in our family. My baby sister is going through it right now. She lives in El Cajon.
    I wish you well. Your kitties sound so sweet. A new addition is always so interesting but can be trying at first. We just have Mele' now. No kitties. We think about it though.
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherry. I found the link for your blog and decided to check on you and here is your little post. I know already what you have written since we spoke, but I didn't know about the kitty. I decided I want another one too. I went to a nursery where a woman keeps so many there and though they keep having babies and I asked for one or two in a year she can't seem to find one for me and every time I show up, there are none but one is always pregnant. I ask her to call me when the kitties have finished nursing, but she never calls. I have never had so much trouble trying to find a kitty when there are so many loose around needing homes. When I tried to take 2 from a woman giving them away, something else came up. When the local wild cat had babies I tried to take one when they began running around but they were too feral and I could never get close to them though they did like hanging around here and still do. One day, as before, the perfect one will come to me. I prefer it that way, that the cat find me. I hope to hear from you soon. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete